Aasara Drug Rehabilitation Center
Introduction of Aasara Drug Rehabilitation Center
When Nepal Police
youth as part of its clampdown against criminal activities in the Kathmandu Valley in 1997
AD, it found 111 of them were drug users. In a bid to rehabilitate them and make a responsible citizen by providing them necessary care and treatment, ‘Drug Addicts Reforms Camp’ was established on 15th Jun 1997
in the initiation of Nepal Police. Despite hardships, Nepal Police had provided free treatment to those youth for nearly three months. Later, the responsibility of looking after the youth was handed over to Nepal Police Wives Association on 17th Sept 1997. Since then the youth have been under the supervision of the association. The camp was later renamed as ‘Aasara Drug Rehabilitation Center’ and transformed into a non-profit based non-government organization which was registered under Organization Registration Act-2034
AD) on 2nd Feb 1999
. The organization was registered with Social Welfare Council on 16th Jan 2001, enrolled with the Ministry of Home Affairs on 26th July 2012 and affiliated with the Ministry of Home Affairs on 14th April 2016.
The organization so far has provided treatment facility to 4362 individuals.
- To make drug users give up drugs by making them psychologically stronger.
- To raise awareness about the negative impacts of drug addiction; and provide respite to the society suffering from drug users.
- To reduce criminal activities involving drug users and to help the authorities concerned to control consumption, supply and peddling of drugs.
- To provide treatment to drug users and rehabilitate them into family and society.
- To help drug users become self-dependent by providing them skill-oriented trainings.
- To help raise awareness about diseases related to drug and prevent untimely deaths.
- The center has the capacity of providing treatment to 85 people at a time.
- If there is a vacant seat, youth in waiting list will be admitted.
- Admission will be made only after an admission committee, comprising of duty officer, health personnel and counselor, provides necessary consultation to the concerned person and his/her family as per the rule of the center.
- As the timeframe to get rid of addiction depends on drug users’ mental and physical health as well as family relations, the center has set an initial timeframe of six months. This means family of drug users should be willing to keep the users in the center for at least six months.
- Drug users with any types of mental or physical disabilities will not be admitted at the center.
- The center’s minimum treatment period will be of four months. The need for further treatment will be determined by center evaluating improvement in drug users and as per the suggestions of his/her family members.
The center has adopted a holistic approach to rehabilitate youth who have deviated from their responsibility to the society by using different types of killer drugs. Taking into consideration the health of drug users, the center has arranged separate Medical Unit and Detoxification Unit. Cases that cannot be treated at the center’s Medical Unit will be referred to other health institutions with the help of concerned family members.
Health Tests & Treatment
Health of drug users admitted at the center will be checked on a regular basis by General Physician and Psychiatric Doctor.
a. To ensure better health
b. Change in feelings
- The center has adopted ‘Cold Turkey’ method (which includes giving cold showers, and giving users plenty of lime water and glucose water) to reduce body pains of drug users.
- The users will be involved in yoga exercises so that they can get mental and physical balance.
- Nutritious diet will be provided to the users as per the need.
- The users will be involved in different sporting activities.
- The users will be asked to involve in different physical exercises.
- A gymnasium has been arranged for drug users so that they can work out.
It has been found that drug addiction is more due to psychological dependence rather than physical. To get rid of that dependence, change in feelings and behavior is a must. To bring about change in feelings, drug users are given individual and group consultations. Similarly, classes on moral sciences and eclectic counseling/therapy are conducted. Likewise, practical classes like discussion sessions, inventory writing, and role playing are also organized.
c. For family and social coordination
As we all know, relation between an individual and his family members worsens once the individual starts using drugs. His/her relation with the society also worsens. As a result, such people develop a feeling of low self-esteem and their involvement is social activities also reduces. To address these issues, the center organizes following activities:
d. For making users self-dependent
- Family counseling.
- Meeting family members every Sundays.
- Involvement in social activities.
- Family consultation and interactions on first and third Sundays of the month.
- For rehabilitation of the users into family and society, they will be allowed to go on an outing (meet family members at their home itself) after treatment of three months at the center.
- After completion of three months of treatment, family members of the users will be invited at the center and the users will be allowed to visit their home to foster friendly relations with the society and family members for one day and more to necessity.
e. To bring about spiritual changes
- Work therapy
- Skill-oriented trainings
- Group discussions
- Individual counseling.
- Psychological counseling.
- Computer training
- Musical training
Classes on spiritual activities, yoga education, Rajayoga, Art of Living, Peace messages will be organized. Similarly, a temple has been built in the premises of the center for meditation and worship.
Future plans and programs of the center
Under its awareness raising program, the center will work in cooperation with schools and community service centers; publish and distribute pamphlets and brochures; and organize different skill-oriented training and sport competition. Similarly, it plans to produce and broadcast television programs and develop the center as a research center and open branch offices. For better treatment of admitted drug users, the center will design appropriate trainings and special classes that suit their education level. Similarly, more facilities will be added to the center so that it becomes self-dependent and create a niche in the society. Other future plans include organizing different fund raising programs to enhance infrastructure at the center so that it can meet its objectives.
The center expects to get support and cooperation from family, society, government and non-government organizations, different political parties, civil society, police, media persons, corporate houses, drug abuse experts, and drug users to make its works against drug addiction more effective and result oriented.
We appeal to all to take drug addiction as a sensitive issue and do following things:
- If you find drug users in your family and neighborhood, kindly inform the reforms center at the earliest.
- Talk about problems of drug abuse without any hesitation.
- Share information about drug addiction and measures to control it to others.
- Last but not the least, realizing that prevention is better than cure; we request all of you to provide us necessary comments and suggestions for controlling drug addiction.
Tel: 014384881 / 9851284881